Monday, April 12, 2010

Fiesta, Fiesta!

I was in the mood for something spicy- but something new. I usually make my naked fajitas (fajitas sans tortillas), but I wanted something more, and I didn't want to have to eat a truckload of bell peppers just to get all of my carbs in. So, I made a couple of other items to compliment my spanish themed-meal.

For an appetizer, I made what I will now name, Ali's Ceviche, after my friend Ali, who gave me the great idea!

Here's what you'll need:

2 c tomatoes, chopped
2 c cooked shrimp, chopped
1/2 c red onion, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
Juice of 2 limes
Roughly 1/2 c cilantro, chopped
1/2 of a jalapeno (a little more than 1 tbsp) chopped
1/2 avocado

It's simple, just combine all of the ingredients (except the avocado) in a bowl and refrigerate for about an hour before serving. When you're ready to serve, chop up the avocado and place it on top. I used cucumber slices instead of tortilla chips, but it was also tasty by the fork-full. Here is my presentation, doesn't it look mucho authentico?





As a side, I made Spanish Cauli-Rice, it was SO GOOD. I gave some to my co-worker (who is doing strict paleo), and she said, "it tastes so good, I feel like I am cheating!" It was delicious, the picture just does not do it any justice.

Here is what you'll need:

1 head of Cauliflower
3 tbsp tomato paste
~ 3 tbsp water
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 c cilantro, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp olive oil

Chop the cauliflower into very small pieces so that it resembles rice, or, place it in the food processor, and set aside. In a non stick pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil, onions and garlic until the onions become translucent, then add chiles, tomato paste and water. Stir the mixture so that it turns into a paste-like consistency. Microwave the cauliflower for 3-4 minutes. Once the cauliflower is done in the mirco, add it to the pan and mix well, turning the burner to a low heat. At this time, add the cilantro. You can also add other veggies if you like. Next time, I think I will add fresh chopped tomato.



And finally, my finished product was my naked fajitas over the cauli-rice. Naked fajitas are really easy to make. Just sautee some sliced bell pepper in 1 teasp olive oil, and grill up some chicken, with the spices of your liking. I covered my chicken in chili powder, garlic & onion powder, and red pepper flakes. The meal was great! Ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment