Monday, April 26, 2010

Clean Spaghetti w/ Meat Sauce

Mmmm... Pasta has got to be one of the meals that I miss the most. I'm sure I am not the first person most of you know who has subbed spaghetti squash for pasta noodles, but for those of you who are new to this idea, you should definitely try it. You can find spaghetti squash at most grocery stores. I got mine today at Mother's Market.



To prepare the squash:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Poke the squash several times with a fork, then place in a baking dish. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Remove the squash and let it sit for about 10 minutes, it will be very hot! Once it has cooled a little, cut the squash in half, lengthwise. Remove the seeds and stringy-like stuff with a spoon. Next, scrape the flesh of the squash (the walls on the inside of the squash) with a fork. This will create the string-like "noodles". I scrape mine down to the skin, I try to get the most out of each side of the squash. Set the "noodles" aside.

For my meat sauce:
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 T Olive Oil
1/2 T Herbs de Provence
1/2 T Dried Parsley
1/2 T Garlic Powder
4oz can Tomato Paste
4 oz can water
1/2 c organic diced tomatoes

In a pan, add olive oil, onion and garlic and sautee until the onions are translucent. Next, break up the ground beef and drop it in the pan, add all of the spices. In a separate bowl, mix together the tomato paste and the water, so that it is a nice smooth consistency. Add tomato sauce to the meat, garlic & onions, as well as the diced tomatoes. Turn the burner to low and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.

I hope you enjoy this ... Paul said it needed salt, but I told him "No extra added salt on Paleo!" ... he said "I hate Paleo", and he then took a sip of his glass of milk (not so paleo) haha... I guess it is not for everyone, but, we're trying our best. Have a great week! 11 more days until regionals....

No comments:

Post a Comment