Saturday, February 4, 2012

Paleo Sloppy Joe's



I haven't had Sloppy Joe's since I was a kid, and to be honest, I didn't like them much back then. However, my friend mentioned that she made some the other night and I thought, "well, I can make a paleo version, it's basically just meat and veggies just mushed up in a pan anyway, right?" ...."Right!"

Here is what you'll need:

1 lb Ground Beef (or Turkey, or Chicken, your choice)
1 Bell Pepper
1 medium White Onion
1/2 of a 25oz Jar of Marinara***
3/4 can of an 8 oz Tomato Paste
1/2 Tea Cumin
1/2 Tea Cayenne Pepper
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil

Optional: Bun

Portabella Mushrooms drizzled with Olive oil, Salt and Pepper, grilled for about 4 minutes each side

Start by sauteeing the veggies in the Olive Oil. Once the onions become translucent, add in the beef and season the mixture with a little salt and pepper. When the meat is about done, add in the tomato paste and marinara, and the seasonings and blend well. Simmer together for about 10 minutes and serve.


*** I have been asked about which type of marinara to buy... I don't get too crazy. I try to buy organic when I can, but most importantly, I LOOK AT THE LABEL. I look for the jar with the least amount of ingredients and I steer clear or ingredients like sugar and cheese. Trader Joe's has a couple good ones. My rule of thumb is just to always check the label :)

1 comment: