Friday, June 11, 2010

A day in the Life....


When eating in any "diet" make sure you are still allowing yourself to have fun or you might go crazy... Here we are enjoying some wine with friends at a wine tasting up North.

I have been eating mostly paleo style since the beginning of April. The reason for this being I was getting really tired of measuring all of my food on the zone, and to be quite honest, I just wasn't seeing any more results from the zone, I was at a plateau. Now, the way that I eat is what I like to call "semi-paleo" because I don't follow EVERY rule to a T. So here is an example of a day in my life and what I typically eat:

Wake up:
1 8oz cup of Vanilla Nut Coffee (black) before Crossfit

Breakfast:
3 eggs either scrambled or fried
1 c mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) or an apple
raw almond butter- usually 2-3 Tbsp depending on how hungry I am

Lunch:
4-5 oz grilled chicken breast
1.5 cup mini bell peppers
1/2 c grapes
sometimes I'll eat another serving of veggies depending on what I have that week
1/4 c mixed raw nuts (no peanuts!)

Snack:
1-2 oz beef jerky
1-2 oz dried fruit **** eat this sparingly, as there may be a lot of sugar... replace this with fresh fruit or veggies when possible
handful of cashews

Dinner:.... is usually always changing
Most of the meals on my blog are dinner entrees. I try to eat at least 4-5 oz of whatever protein I am making, and then fill the rest of my plate with the vegetables that I prepare whether they may be asparagus, broccoli, brussels sprouts, bell peppers or zucchini. And I usually cook with enough olive oil so that I am getting enough fat in my meal. If I have avocado on hand, I might slice it up, sprinkle pepper on it and have it as an appetizer.

The one thing I have learned about Paleo is that you really have to listen to your body. About a week ago I was having a really hard time in the gym. I was sluggish, and I was weak. I was not eating enough. I began to eat a little more and I started to feel better. Every one is so different and the way that your body responds to a type of eating is going to be different from your spouse, your friend, your mother and your boss. Also, don't forget to take into account what you do aside from your normal workout... I have a very active job (teaching Adapted PE) so some days I might need some extra food to chase those little boogers around.... Only you know your body, so only you can make the decisions about what is right for you to eat. Think of food as fuel and fill 'er up!

4 comments:

  1. Loved this one Stacey! I think it's important to eat more when you're body is clearing telling you to. I like to eat more fat, that has always given me more energy when I start to feel depleted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pop... i could not agree more. Fat is my friend! And the good thing is, I have only noticed good things about eating more fat.

    On that note, I forgot to post what I would eat for a night time snack:

    1/2 c berries
    1/4 c coconut milk
    sprinkle of coconut shavings

    This is delicious and for some reason it reminds me of cereal. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Stacey! What changes have you noticed since the transition?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eating on my version of the Paleo, I noticed I was more lean, and just like the zone, I always feel better during workouts and in general when I am eating Paleo foods.

    ReplyDelete